Adderall XR Side Effects
Although most people tolerate the drug well, there are some potential side effects of Adderall XR. Some of the most common side effects include loss of appetite, dry mouth, and difficulty sleeping. In many cases, these problems are mild and easily treated. However, contact your healthcare provider immediately if you experience suicidal thoughts, fainting, or difficulty breathing.
As with any medicine, side effects are possible with Adderall XR® (amphetamine-dextroamphetamine extended release). However, not everyone who takes the drug will experience problems. In fact, most people tolerate it well. If side effects do occur, in most cases, they are minor, meaning they require no treatment or are easily treated by you or your healthcare provider.
(This article covers many, but not all, of the possible side effects of Adderall XR. Your healthcare provider can discuss a more complete list of Adderall XR side effects with you.)
Common Side Effects of Adderall XR
Adderall XR has been studied thoroughly in clinical trials, with many people having been evaluated. In these studies, the side effects that occurred in a group of people taking the drug were documented and then compared to the side effects that occurred in another group of people taking a placebo (a "sugar pill" that does not contain any active ingredients). As a result, it was possible to see what side effects occurred, how often they appeared, and how they compared to the group not taking the medicine.
Based on these studies, the most common Adderall XR side effects include:
- Loss of appetite -- in up to 36 percent of people
- Dry mouth -- up to 35 percent
- Difficulty sleeping (insomnia) -- up to 27 percent
- Headaches -- up to 26 percent
- Abdominal pain (stomach pain) -- up to 14 percent
- Temporary increase in blood pressure -- up to 11 percent
- Weight loss -- up to 11 percent (see Adderall and Weight Loss)
- Emotional changes -- up to 9 percent
- Nausea, upset stomach, or vomiting -- up to 8 percent
- Dizziness -- up to 7 percent
- Diarrhea -- up to 6 percent
- Feeling of weakness (asthenia) -- up to 6 percent
- Increased heart rate (tachycardia) -- up to 6 percent
- Infection, including urinary tract infection (UTI) -- up to 5 percent
- Fever -- up to 5 percent
- Heartburn -- up to 2 percent.
Adderall XR can also cause a temporary slowing of growth in children. This is usually small (less than an inch and less than two pounds), and children usually catch up to within normal limits in time.