Adderall XR Warnings and Precautions
Some Adderall XR warnings and precautions relate to potential drug interactions and the possibility of sudden death, strokes, and heart attacks, among other things. Prior to taking Adderall XR, be sure to talk to your healthcare provider about any health conditions you may have, such as heart problems, high blood pressure, or any allergies. You should not take Adderall XR if you have a heart condition or an overactive thyroid.
Adderall XR: What Should I Tell My Healthcare Provider?You should talk with your healthcare provider prior to taking Adderall XR® (amphetamine-dextroamphetamine extended release) if you have:
- Heart problems of any kind
- High blood pressure (hypertension)
- Mental illness, including bipolar disorder and psychotic disorders (such as schizophrenia or schizoaffective disorder)
- Seizures or epilepsy
- Tourette syndrome
- Hyperthyroidism (overactive thyroid)
- Glaucoma (a condition of the eye)
- Any allergies, including allergies to food, dyes, or preservatives.
Also, let your healthcare provider know if you are:
- Pregnant or thinking of becoming pregnant
It's also important to tell your healthcare provider about all of the medicines you take, including prescription and non-prescription medicines, antacids, vitamins, and herbal supplements.
Some Adderall XR Warnings and PrecautionsSome Adderall XR warnings and precautions to be aware of include:
- Amphetamines (including Adderall XR) are often abused. Taking amphetamines for long lengths of time can lead to a dependence on Adderall XR (see Adderall Abuse for more information). Because Adderall XR is so commonly abused, there are special rules for prescribing Adderall XR (see Adderall: A Controlled Substance for more information).
- Adderall XR can interact with certain medications (see Adderall XR Drug Interactions).
- Adderall XR is considered a pregnancy Category C medication. This means that Adderall XR may not be safe to use during pregnancy. Discuss the safety of this medication with your healthcare provider before using Adderall XR during pregnancy (see Adderall and Pregnancy for more information).
- Adderall XR passes through breast milk. Therefore, if you are breastfeeding or plan to breastfeed, be sure to talk with your healthcare provider about this. He or she can decide whether taking Adderall XR while breastfeeding would be the best option for your particular situation.
- Adderall XR may affect your ability to perform tasks that require complete concentration, such as driving, operating machinery, or piloting an airplane, especially during the first few weeks of treatment. It is recommended that you discuss this with your healthcare provider.
- In children with psychotic disorders (such as schizophrenia or schizoaffective disorder), Adderall XR can make psychotic symptoms, such as thought disorders and behavior problems, worse.
- Adderall XR may make bipolar symptoms worse, especially manic symptoms.
- In children and adolescents with heart problems, sudden death has been reported in those taking normal doses of Adderall XR. If your child has heart problems, discuss whether Adderall XR is appropriate for your situation. Also, let your healthcare provider know if your child develops any chest tightness, chest pain, shortness of breath, or fainting.
- Sudden death, strokes, and heart attacks have also been reported in adults taking normal doses of Adderall XR. This also seems to occur more often in adults with heart problems. If you have heart problems, discuss whether Adderall XR is appropriate for your situation. Also, let your healthcare provider know if you develop any chest tightness, chest pain, shortness of breath, or fainting.
- There have been reports of priapism in people taking ADHD medications, including this one. This side effect is an abnormally long-lasting, painful erection and can cause serious, permanent damage to the penis. It can occur in males of any age. Young boys might not recognize this side effect, and males of any age might be hesitant to seek parental or medical attention, due to embarrassment. Prompt treatment is necessary to avoid damage.
Be especially on the lookout for this side effect whenever the dosage is increased or during a drug "holiday" or any other time when the drug is stopped.
- Adderall XR can cause an increase in blood pressure and heart rate. In most cases, the increase is small and does not cause problems. However, there is an increased risk for people who already have high blood pressure, congestive heart failure, certain irregular heart rhythms (arrhythmias), or have recently had a heart attack.
- Adderall XR can cause a temporary slowing of growth in children. This slowing of growth is usually small (less that an inch and less than two pounds), and children usually catch up to within normal limits in time.