Based on clinical studies, children with ADHD who used Daytrana had significant improvements in their ADHD symptoms (as measured by their teachers), compared to children with ADHD who did not use the medication. In these studies, it took about two hours after the patch was applied before the teachers noticed any effect.
Some general considerations for when and how to use Daytrana include the following:
- The medication comes as a skin patch. It is applied once daily to the skin on the hip area.
- Apply a Daytrana patch about two hours before you would like it to start working, since it takes awhile for the medication to be absorbed from the skin.
- The patch should be worn for approximately nine hours in most cases, although your healthcare provider may recommend wearing it for less time, especially if it is causing insomnia.
- Apply the patch to clean, dry skin that is not irritated or damaged. Try to switch hips each day.
- Never apply heat to the Daytrana patch. This includes heating pads, electric blankets, and water beds.
- Do not ever cut the patch. This will result in much too high of a dose.
- After sticking the patch in place, firmly press the patch with your hand for a full 30 seconds (this helps the patch to stick better). Make sure the edges are fully attached.
- After it is in place, bathing, swimming, and showering usually will not cause any problems with the patch.
- If a patch falls off too early, apply a new patch (on the other hip), but still remove this patch at your regular time.
- To dispose of a removed Daytrana patch, fold it in half so that it sticks to itself, then throw it away in a safe place or flush it down the toilet (do not flush the patch if you have a septic system). This helps prevent anyone (such as young children) from accidentally coming into contact with the medicine.
- For Daytrana to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed. The patch will not work if you stop using it.
(Click Daytrana Patch Problems for more information about what to do about specific problems that may occur with Daytrana.)