For the treatment of ADHD, Desoxyn dosing typically starts at 5 mg once or twice a day. If necessary, the healthcare provider may increase the Desoxyn dosage by 5 mg a week; typically, children take 20 to 25 mg of Desoxyn daily. For short-term treatment of obesity, the recommended Desoxyn dosage is 5 mg, taken 30 minutes before each meal. Desoxyn should not be used for weight loss for more than a few weeks.
The dose of Desoxyn® (methamphetamine hydrochloride) that your healthcare provider prescribes will vary depending on a number of factors, including:
- The condition being treated (ADHD or obesity)
- Other medical conditions you may have
- Other medications you may be taking.
As is always the case, do not adjust your dose unless your healthcare provider specifically instructs you to do so.
For treating children with ADHD who are six years of age and older, Desoxyn should be started at 5 mg once or twice daily. Your healthcare provider may increase the Desoxyn dose by 5 mg per week if necessary. Typically, children take a total of 20 to 25 mg of Desoxyn daily.
The Desoxyn dose most healthcare providers recommend for weight loss is Desoxyn 5 mg, taken half an hour before each meal. Do not use Desoxyn for weight loss for more than a few weeks. Desoxyn is not recommended for treating weight loss in children under the age of 12.
Some considerations for people taking Desoxyn include the following:
- Take your dose of Desoxyn at the same time(s) each day.
- If you do not take your Desoxyn as scheduled, take your next dose as soon as you remember. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and continue with your regular schedule. Do not take a double dose at one time.
- You can take your Desoxyn dosage with or without food.
- For Desoxyn to work properly, you have to take it as prescribed. Desoxyn will not work if you take it differently than your healthcare provider prescribes.
- If you are unsure about anything related to Desoxyn or your Desoxyn dosage, please talk to your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist. Do not stop taking Desoxyn without first discussing it with your healthcare provider.