Desoxyn is a stimulant, although it can have effects that are opposite from what would be expected of a stimulant. While stimulants (like caffeine) can cause hyperactivity, Desoxyn has a calming effect when it is taken in doses intended for ADHD treatment. While it is not known exactly how the medication produces a calming effect, it is known that it affects chemicals in the brain.
Desoxyn works in at least two ways to help people lose weight. It works as an appetite suppressant and also helps to increase the metabolism.
Some general considerations for when and how to take the medication include the following:
- Desoxyn comes in tablet form. People using Desoxyn for ADHD usually take it once or twice a day. When used to treat obesity, it is usually taken half an hour before each meal.
- You may take it with or without food.
- For Desoxyn to work properly, you must take it as prescribed. It will not work if you stop taking it.
The dosage that your healthcare provider recommends will vary depending on a number of factors, including:
- The condition being treated (ADHD or obesity)
- Other medical conditions you may have
- Other medications you may be taking.
As with any medication, do not adjust your dose unless your healthcare provider specifically instructs you to do so.
(Click Desoxyn Dosage for more information.)