Dexedrine Dosing for NarcolepsyRefer to the following table for the Dexedrine dosing for narcolepsy:
Starting Dexedrine Dosage
|6 to 12 years old||
5 mg daily (tablets or Spansules)
|12 years and older||
10 mg daily (tablets or Spansules)
The Dexedrine dosage may be increased slowly (by 10 mg per week) until narcolepsy symptoms improve or Dexedrine side effects become bothersome.
Some considerations for people taking Dexedrine include the following:
- Take Dexedrine Spansules or the first dose of Dexedrine tablets at the same time every morning, first thing after waking up.
- Take Dexedrine Spansules once a day in the morning. Because Spansules are designed to dissolve slowly over time, they should not be crushed or chewed. It is important to swallow Dexedrine Spansules whole.
- If you do not take your Dexedrine as scheduled, take your next dose as soon as you remember. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and continue with your regular schedule. If you do not remember until late in the evening, skip the dose. Taking Dexedrine late in the evening can cause trouble sleeping at night. Do not take a double dose of Dexedrine at one time.
- Your may take your Dexedrine dosage with or without food.
- For Dexedrine to work properly, you have to take it as prescribed. The medication will not work if you take it in a way other than that prescribed by your healthcare provider.
- If you are unsure about anything related to Dexedrine or your Dexedrine dosage, please talk to your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist. Do not stop taking Dexedrine without first discussing it with your healthcare provider.