Focalin XR Dosage
The recommended starting Focalin XR dose for people who have never taken methylphenidate is 5 mg once daily for children and 10 mg once daily for adults. For people who have taken methylphenidate before, the recommended starting Focalin XR dosage is half the total daily dose of methylphenidate taken before. If necessary, the dosage can be increased on a weekly basis. Your age and other drugs you may be taking are among the factors that can affect Focalin XR dosing.
The dosage of Focalin XR® (dexmethylphenidate extended-release) your healthcare provider prescribes will vary depending on a number of factors, including:
- Your age
- Other ADHD medications you may have tried
- Other medical conditions you may have
- Other medications you may be currently taking.
As always, do not adjust your Focalin XR dosage unless your healthcare provider specifically instructs you to do so.
People who are new to methylphenidate products (such as Concerta®, Ritalin®, Metadate®, or Methylin®) should start with Focalin XR 5 mg once daily for children and Focalin XR 10 mg once daily for adults.
People who have been on methylphenidate before should start at half the total daily dose of methylphenidate taken before. For people switching from Focalin tablets to Focalin XR, the total dose per day should be the same.
The Focalin XR dose may be increased at weekly intervals, if necessary.
Some considerations for people taking Focalin XR include:
- Focalin XR comes in capsule form. It should be taken once daily in the morning.
- Focalin XR capsules contain tiny beads that release the medication slowly, so it is important to swallow Focalin XR whole (do not chew or crush it).
- For people who have difficultly swallowing, Focalin XR capsules may be opened and the beads may be sprinkled on a spoonful of applesauce. The applesauce should be eaten right away and should not be chewed.
- It does not matter if you take Focalin XR with or without food. If Focalin XR bothers your stomach, try taking it with food.
- For Focalin XR to work properly, you have to take it as prescribed. Focalin XR will not work if you take it in a way other than how your healthcare provider has prescribed.
- If you are unsure about anything related to Focalin XR or your Focalin XR dosage, please talk with your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist. Do not stop taking Focalin XR without first discussing it with your healthcare provider.