EffectsThere have been several studies looking at using Focalin XR for ADHD symptoms. Some of the results of these ADHD research studies are highlighted below:
ADHD in Children and Teenagers
In clinical studies, children with ADHD who took Focalin XR had significant behavior improvements, compared to children who did not take it. These behavior improvements were reported by teachers. In one study, no difference was seen between the teenagers who took it and the teenagers who did not -- though this is probably due to the small number of teenagers in this study.
Focalin XR has also been studied in people with adult ADHD, and has been shown to be effective at treating symptoms of adult ADHD.
When and How to Take Focalin XRSome general considerations for when and how to take the medication include:
- Focalin XR comes in capsule form. It should be taken once daily in the morning.
- The capsules contain tiny beads that release the medication slowly, so it is important to swallow Focalin XR whole (do not chew or crush it).
- For people who have difficultly swallowing, the capsules may be opened and the beads sprinkled on a spoonful of applesauce. The applesauce should be eaten right away and should not be chewed.
- You can take the medication with or without food. If it bothers your stomach, try taking it with food.
- For Focalin XR to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed. It will not work if you stop taking it.
Dosing InformationThe dosage your healthcare provider recommends will vary depending on a number of factors, including:
- Your age
- Other medications you have tried for ADHD
- Other medical conditions you may have
- Other medications you may be currently taking.
As is the case with any medication, do not adjust your dose unless your healthcare provider specifically instructs you to do so.
(Click Focalin XR Dosage for more information.)