The recommended starting Focalin dosage for people who have never taken a methylphenidate product is Focalin 2.5 mg twice daily. This Focalin dose may be increased if necessary at weekly intervals. The maximum recommended dose of Focalin is 20 mg per day. Some of the factors that can affect Focalin dosing include your age, other medical conditions you may have, and other ADHD medications you may have tried.
An Overview of Focalin DosingThe dose of Focalin® (dexmethylphenidate hydrochloride) your healthcare provider prescribes will vary depending on a number of factors, including:
- Your age
- Other ADHD medications you may have tried
- Other medical conditions you may have
- Other medications you may be currently taking.
As always, do not adjust your Focalin dose unless your healthcare provider specifically instructs you to do so.
Focalin Dosage for ADHDPeople who are new to methylphenidate products (such as Concerta®, Ritalin®, Methylin®, or Daytrana®) should start with Focalin 2.5 mg twice daily.
People who have been on methylphenidate before should start with Focalin at half the total daily dose of methylphenidate taken before, as Focalin is more potent than methylphenidate. The Focalin dose should be divided into two doses per day. For instance, if you were taking methylphenidate 20 mg total per day, your Focalin starting dose would be Focalin 5 mg twice daily.
The Focalin dose may be increased at weekly intervals, if necessary. The maximum recommended dose of Focalin is 20 mg total per day (10 mg twice daily).
General Focalin Dosing InformationSome considerations for people taking Focalin include:
- Focalin should be taken at the same times each day. Doses should be taken at least four hours apart.
- If you do not take your Focalin as scheduled, take your next dose as soon as you remember. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and continue with your regular schedule. Do not take a double dose at one time.
- Your Focalin dosage can be taken with or without food.
- For Focalin to work properly, you have to take it as prescribed. Focalin will not work if you take it in a way other than how your healthcare provider has prescribed.
- If you are unsure about anything related to Focalin or your Focalin dosage, please talk with your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist. Do not stop taking Focalin without first discussing it with your healthcare provider.