Focalin Warnings and Precautions
Among the conditions that you should tell your healthcare provider about before you take Focalin are high blood pressure, seizures, and any allergies you may have. To reduce the risk of drug interactions, you should also let your healthcare provider know about all of the drugs you are currently taking. Some other Focalin warnings and precautions include the safety of taking Focalin if you have a history of heart problems or are pregnant or nursing, as well as the risk of becoming dependent on Focalin.
You should talk with your healthcare provider prior to taking Focalin® (dexmethylphenidate hydrochloride) if you have:
- Heart problems of any kind, including heart disease, congestive heart failure, certain irregular heart rhythms (arrhythmias), or a recent history of a heart attack
- High blood pressure (hypertension)
- Mental illness, including bipolar disorder and psychotic disorders (such as schizophrenia or schizoaffective disorder)
- Seizures or epilepsy
- Tourette syndrome
- Glaucoma (a condition of the eye)
- A history of drug or alcohol abuse
- Any allergies, including allergies to foods, dyes, or preservatives.
Also let your healthcare provider know if you are:
- Pregnant or thinking of becoming pregnant
It is important to also tell your healthcare provider about all of the medicines you take, including prescription and non-prescription medicines, vitamins, and herbal supplements.