Kapvay Uses

Kapvay is approved for the treatment of attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD). It is only approved for use in children age 6 to 17 years old. Using Kapvay in adults or younger children would be considered an off-label (unapproved) use of the medication. This prescription drug can help improve ADHD symptoms, such as difficulty paying attention, sitting still, and controlling behavior.

What Is Kapvay Used For?

Kapvay™ (clonidine ER) is a prescription medicine licensed to treat attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) in children and adolescents age 6 to 17 years old. Unlike most other ADHD medications, Kapvay is not a stimulant and is not a controlled substance. It is approved to be used alone or in combination with a stimulant.
ADHD is a condition that involves difficulty paying attention, sitting still, and controlling behavior. With ADHD, these problems are worse than expected for a typical child of the same age. Usually, the ADHD symptoms must be present before the age of seven to qualify as ADHD. The symptoms must also affect the school, work, or social life in a negative way to qualify as ADHD (see ADHD and School and Relationships and ADHD for more information).
Although ADHD is generally thought of as a problem in children, teenagers and adults can also have ADHD. Diagnosing ADHD in adults is different than diagnosing this disorder in children. It should be noted that Kapvay is not yet approved for treating adult ADHD.
Any meaningful behavioral change usually requires a well-balanced ADHD treatment plan, including social, educational, and mental therapy (see Behavior Therapy for ADHD). If lifestyle changes are not effective alone in changing ADHD behavior, medications like Kapvay may be necessary.
Recognizing Symptoms of ADHD

Kapvay Medication Information

Referring Pages:
Terms of Use
Advertise with Us
Contact Us
About eMedTV
Privacy Policy
Copyright © 2006-2020 Clinaero, Inc.
eMedTV serves only as an informational resource. This site does not dispense medical advice or advice of any kind. Site users seeking medical advice about their specific situation should consult with their own physician. Click Terms of Use for more information.