ADHD Home > Adderall XR Side Effects
Although most people tolerate the drug well, there are some potential side effects of Adderall XR. Some of the most common side effects include loss of appetite, dry mouth, and difficulty sleeping. In many cases, these problems are mild and easily treated. However, contact your healthcare provider immediately if you experience suicidal thoughts, fainting, or difficulty breathing.
Adderall XR Side Effects: An IntroductionAs with any medicine, side effects are possible with Adderall XR® (amphetamine-dextroamphetamine extended release). However, not everyone who takes the drug will experience problems. In fact, most people tolerate it well. If side effects do occur, in most cases, they are minor, meaning they require no treatment or are easily treated by you or your healthcare provider.
Common Side Effects of Adderall XR
- Loss of appetite -- in up to 36 percent of people
- Dry mouth -- up to 35 percent
- Difficulty sleeping (insomnia) -- up to 27 percent
- Headaches -- up to 26 percent
- Abdominal pain (stomach pain) -- up to 14 percent
- Temporary increase in blood pressure -- up to 11 percent
- Weight loss -- up to 11 percent (see Adderall and Weight Loss)
- Emotional changes -- up to 9 percent
- Nausea, upset stomach, or vomiting -- up to 8 percent
- Dizziness -- up to 7 percent
- Diarrhea -- up to 6 percent
- Feeling of weakness (asthenia) -- up to 6 percent
- Increased heart rate (tachycardia) -- up to 6 percent
- Infection, including urinary tract infection (UTI) -- up to 5 percent
- Fever -- up to 5 percent
- Heartburn -- up to 2 percent.