ADHD Home > Ins and Outs of ADHD Treatment

Nonstimulant Medications

Nonstimulant medications that are approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) to treat ADHD include:
In addition, short-acting clonidine and guanfacine may be used "off-label" to treat ADHD. Off-label use means that a medicine is being used to treat a condition for which it is not FDA-approved.
Nonstimulant medicines are not considered controlled substances, as they do not have a high potential for abuse. In addition, they are not likely to cause appetite problems, insomnia, and anxiety, which may occur with stimulant use. However, nonstimulants can cause drowsiness, which could affect how well they are tolerated.
Atomoxetine may be especially useful for treating ADHD in children who have tic disorders or anxiety disorders in addition to ADHD. Studies have shown that atomoxetine can reduce tic severity, as well as anxiety symptoms, in these children. It has also been shown to reduce heavy drinking in young adults with alcohol problems.
Like stimulants, there is a potential concern about rare, but serious, heart problems with atomoxetine use, especially in children and adolescents who already have underlying heart problems. In addition, atomoxetine may cause rare but serious liver damage.
Atomoxetine has an additional warning associated with its use. In clinical studies, children who took this drug had an increased risk for suicidal thoughts. Therefore, if your child is taking this medication, it is important to watch him or her carefully for any changes in behavior. If you notice any unusual behavior, contact your child's healthcare provider right away.
Written by/reviewed by:
Last reviewed by: Arthur Schoenstadt, MD
Last updated/reviewed:
List of references (click here):
Other Articles in This eMedTV Presentation

Topics & Medications


Related Channels

eMedTV Links
Copyright © 2006-2018 Clinaero, Inc.

eMedTV serves only as an informational resource. This site does not dispense medical advice or advice of any kind. Site users seeking medical advice about their specific situation should consult with their own physician. Click Terms of Use for more information.

This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information:
verify here.