ADHD Home > Daytrana Overdose
If you think you or your child has overdosed on Daytrana, seek medical help immediately. Some possible effects of a Daytrana overdose may include hyperactivity, fast breathing, and seizures. The first step in treating someone who has overdosed on Daytrana is to remove the patch and cleanse the skin thoroughly. Supportive care may also be needed to treat symptoms that occur as a result of the overdose.
Daytrana™ (methylphenidate patch) is a prescription medication that is used to treat ADHD. As with all medications, it is possible to take too much Daytrana.
If you happen to overdose on Daytrana, seek medical attention immediately.
The actual effects of a Daytrana overdose will vary depending on a number of factors, including how much Daytrana is used and whether it is taken with any other medicines, alcohol, and/or illegal street drugs. Some possible effects include:
- Hyperactivity (trouble sitting still)
- Fast breathing
- Muscle pains
- Hallucinations (seeing or hearing things that are not really there).
The treatment for a Daytrana overdose will vary. If the Daytrana patch is still on the skin, the patch should be removed and the skin cleansed thoroughly. Treatment may also involve supportive care. This type of care consists of treating the symptoms that occur as a result of the overdose. For example, supportive treatment options for a Daytrana overdose may include:
- Fluids through an intravenous line (IV)
- Restraint to prevent self-injury
- Procedures to cool the body
- Close monitoring of the heart and lungs
- Other treatments based on complications that occur.
It is important that you seek medical attention immediately if you believe that you may have overdosed on Daytrana.