ADHD Home > Focalin XR Warnings and Precautions
Among the people who should not take Focalin XR are those with glaucoma or severe anxiety, tension, or agitation. Some of the conditions you should tell your healthcare provider about before taking Focalin XR include Tourette syndrome, high blood pressure, and mental illness. A few other Focalin XR warnings and precautions include potential drug interactions, the safety of taking Focalin XR if you have a history of seizures, and the risk of sudden death in some people taking this drug.
Focalin XR: What Should I Tell My Healthcare Provider?You should talk with your healthcare provider prior to taking Focalin XR® (dexmethylphenidate extended-release) if you have:
- Heart problems of any kind, including heart disease, congestive heart failure, certain irregular heart rhythms (arrhythmias), or a recent history of a heart attack
- High blood pressure (hypertension)
- Mental illness, including bipolar disorder and psychotic disorders (such as schizophrenia or schizoaffective disorder)
- Seizures or epilepsy
- Tourette syndrome
- Glaucoma (a condition of the eye)
- A history of drug or alcohol abuse
- Any allergies, including allergies to foods, dyes, or preservatives.
- Pregnant or thinking of becoming pregnant