ADHD Home > Intuniv Uses

Even though Intuniv is a long-acting version of a blood pressure medication, it is actually licensed as an ADHD treatment. The medicine is neither a stimulant nor a controlled substance, which sets it apart from most other ADHD drugs. It is approved for use in people between 6 and 17 years old. Off-label uses of Intuniv include treating ADHD in adults.

What Is Intuniv Used For?

Intuniv™ (guanfacine ER) is a prescription medicine licensed to treat attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) in individuals between the ages of 6 and 17. It can be used alone or in combination with long-acting oral stimulant medications to treat ADHD. Unlike most other ADHD medications, Intuniv is not a stimulant and is not a controlled substance.
ADHD is a condition involving difficulty paying attention, sitting still, and controlling behavior. In ADHD, these problems are worse than expected for a typical child of the same age. Usually, these symptoms must be present before the age of seven to qualify as ADHD. They must also affect school, work, or social life in a negative way to qualify as ADHD (see ADHD and School and Relationships and ADHD for more information).
Although ADHD is generally thought of as a problem in children, teenagers and adults can also have it. However, diagnosing ADHD in adults is not the same as diagnosing it in children, and Intuniv is not yet approved for treating adult ADHD.
Any meaningful behavioral change usually requires a well-balanced ADHD treatment plan, including social, educational, and mental therapy (see Behavior Therapy for ADHD). If lifestyle changes alone are not effective in changing behavior, medications such as Intuniv may be necessary.
Written by/reviewed by:
Last reviewed by: Kristi Monson, PharmD;
Last updated/reviewed:
List of references (click here):
Other Articles in This eMedTV Presentation

Topics & Medications


Related Channels

eMedTV Links
Copyright © 2006-2020 Clinaero, Inc.

eMedTV serves only as an informational resource. This site does not dispense medical advice or advice of any kind. Site users seeking medical advice about their specific situation should consult with their own physician. Click Terms of Use for more information.

This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information:
verify here.