ADHD Home > Kapvay Dosage
When using Kapvay to treat attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), the typical starting dosage is 0.1 mg once daily at bedtime. However, your child's dosage of Kapvay will depend on several factors, such as how your child responds to the medication and other medicines he or she is taking. If necessary, your healthcare provider may increase the dose gradually over several weeks.
An Introduction to Dosing With KapvayThe dosage of Kapvay™ (clonidine ER) your child's healthcare provider recommends will vary depending on a number of factors, including:
- How your child responds to Kapvay
- Other medications your child is taking
- Other medical conditions your child may have.
As is always the case, do not adjust your child's dose unless the healthcare provider specifically tells you to do so.
Kapvay Dosage for ADHDThe usual starting dose of Kapvay is 0.1 mg once daily at bedtime. Your child's healthcare provider may gradually increase the dose (only if necessary) as follows:
- First week -- Kapvay 0.1 mg at bedtime
- Second week -- Kapvay 0.1 mg in the morning and 0.1 mg at bedtime
- Third week -- Kapvay 0.1 mg in the morning and 0.2 mg at bedtime
- Fourth week -- Kapvay 0.2 mg in the morning and 0.2 mg at bedtime.
When stopping Kapvay, it is usually recommended to gradually taper the dose down by 0.1 mg every three to seven days. Stopping Kapvay abruptly might cause dangerously high blood pressure (hypertension), a rapid heart rate (tachycardia), and other symptoms.
General Information on Taking KapvaySome considerations to keep in mind during treatment with Kapvay include the following:
- Kapvay comes in the form of an extended-release tablet. It is taken by mouth, usually once or twice a day.
- Do not crush, chew, or break the tablets, as this will cause the medication to be released too quickly. The tablets must be swallowed whole.
- Try to take this medication at the same time each day.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed.
- If you have any questions about your child's Kapvay dosage, talk to your healthcare provider or pharmacist.