ADHD Home > Metadate CD Dosage
When beginning ADHD treatment with Metadate CD, the dosage usually starts at 20 mg, taken in the morning. The capsule, which should be taken before breakfast, must be swallowed whole. It can also be opened and the medicine sprinkled on a spoonful of applesauce to be eaten right away. If needed, your healthcare provider may increase your child's Metadate CD dosage up to 60 mg a day.
The dose of Metadate CD® (methylphenidate extended-release) that your healthcare provider prescribes will vary, depending on a number of factors, including:
- Your age
- Other ADHD medications you may have tried
- Other medical conditions you may have
- Other medications you are currently taking.
As is always the case, do not adjust your Metadate CD dosage unless your healthcare provider specifically instructs you to do so.
The recommended starting dose of Metadate CD for the treatment of attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) is 20 mg, taken once daily in the morning. Your healthcare provider can increase your dose at weekly intervals, if necessary. The maximum recommended dose of Metadate CD is 60 mg a day.
Considerations for people taking Metadate CD include the following:
- Metadate CD comes in capsule form. It should be taken once daily in the morning.
- The capsules contain tiny beads that release the medication slowly, so it is important to swallow the capsule whole (do not chew or crush it).
- For people who have difficulty swallowing, the capsules may be opened and the beads sprinkled on a spoonful of applesauce. The applesauce should be eaten right away and should not be chewed. The applesauce should be followed by a drink of water or another beverage.
- Metadate CD should be taken before breakfast. Taking it after eating can delay the effect of the medication.
- For the drug to work properly, you have to take it as prescribed. The medicine will not work if you take it differently than how your healthcare provider recommends.
- If you are unsure about anything related to Metadate CD or your Metadate CD dosage, talk to your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist. Do not stop taking the drug without first discussing it with your healthcare provider.