ADHD Home > Metadate CD Warnings and Precautions
- Are allergic to Metadate CD, methylphenidate hydrochloride, or any inactive component used to make the drug. Your healthcare provider or pharmacist has a list of the inactive ingredients.
- Have severe high blood pressure (hypertension), chest pain, an irregular heart rhythm (arrhythmia), heart failure, or have had a recent heart attack.
- Have uncontrolled hyperthyroidism (overactive thyroid)
- Have glaucoma (a condition of the eye)
- Have severe anxiety, tension, or agitation
- Will be having surgery using a halogenated anesthetic (Metadate CD should not be taken the day of surgery)
- Have severe depression, schizophrenia, other psychotic disorders, or a history of suicide attempts (or if you are thinking about suicide).
- Have tics (abnormal body movements) or Tourette syndrome (or a family history of Tourette syndrome).
- Have used a monoamine oxidase inhibitor (MAOI) within the past two weeks. Monoamine oxidase inhibitors include: