ADHD Home > Quillivant XR Dosage
The recommended starting Quillivant XR dose to treat attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) in individuals age 6 and older is typically 20 mg once daily. If necessary, the dosage can be increased on a weekly basis, up to a maximum amount of 60 mg a day.
The dose of Quillivant XR™ (methylphenidate ER oral suspension) your healthcare provider recommends will vary, depending on a couple of factors, including:
- How you respond to the medication
- Side effects you experience.
As is always the case, do not adjust your dosage unless your healthcare provider specifically tells you to do so.
The recommended initial dosage of Quillivant XR for treating attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) in people 6 years old and older is usually 20 mg once a day. Doses may be increased, if needed, by 10 mg to 20 mg a week, to a maximum recommended dosage of 60 mg a day.
The actual dose used can vary from person to person. Your healthcare provider will adjust the dose until the right amount is found, based on your symptoms and how you respond to the medicine.
It is unclear how long treatment with Quillivant XR should continue. Some people may outgrow ADHD. Also, ADHD symptoms may change as people age. Your healthcare provider may recommend periodic trials without the medication to determine if ongoing treatment is still necessary.
Some considerations to keep in mind during treatment with Quillivant XR include the following:
- Quillivant XR comes as a powder that is mixed with water to form a liquid. It is normally taken by mouth once a day in the morning.
- Your pharmacist will mix the medication prior to giving it to you. If for some reason your medicine has not been mixed with liquid, take it back to the pharmacy. Do not mix it yourself.
- You can take this medication with or without food. Try taking it with food if it upsets your stomach. You may notice that the medicine begins to work a little faster when taken with food.
- Shake the bottle well for at least 10 seconds before each use. This will ensure the medication is evenly mixed.
- This medicine comes with an oral dosing dispenser, which you should use to measure your dose. Do not use a household measuring spoon, as it will not be accurate enough. Ask your pharmacist for a replacement if your medicine did not come with an oral dosing dispenser or if you need a new one.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed.
- If you are unsure about anything related to your dosage, please talk with your healthcare provider, nurse, or pharmacist.