ADHD Home > Ritalin Warnings and Precautions
It's important to be aware of Ritalin warnings and precautions before beginning treatment. Let your healthcare provider know if you have any heart problems, seizures, or high blood pressure. Side effects are also possible, including increased heart rate, high blood pressure, and slow growth rate in children. Ritalin warnings and precautions also extend to people who are allergic to any components of the medicine, have tics, or have glaucoma.
- Heart problems of any kind, including heart disease, congestive heart failure, certain irregular heart rhythms (arrhythmias), or a recent heart attack
- High blood pressure (hypertension)
- Mental illness, including bipolar disorder (manic depression) and psychotic disorders (such as schizophrenia or schizoaffective disorder)
- Seizures or epilepsy
- Tourette syndrome
- Hyperthyroidism (overactive thyroid)
- Glaucoma (an eye condition)
- Any allergies, including allergies to food, dyes, or preservatives.
- Are pregnant or thinking of becoming pregnant
- Are breastfeeding.