Based on clinical studies, children and teenagers (ages 6 to 15) with ADHD who took Metadate CD had significant behavior improvements compared to those who did not take the medication. Teachers noticed fewer ADHD symptoms in the children and teens taking the drug. The medication has not been studied in adults (see Metadate and Adults).
General considerations for when and how to take Metadate CD include the following:
- The medication comes in capsule form and should be taken once daily in the morning.
- Since the capsules contain tiny beads that release the medication slowly, it is important to swallow the capsules whole (do not chew or crush them).
- For people who have difficulty swallowing, Metadate CD capsules may be opened and the beads sprinkled on a spoonful of applesauce. The applesauce should be eaten right away and should not be chewed. It should be followed by a drink of water or another beverage.
- Metadate CD should be taken before breakfast. Taking it after eating can delay the effect of the medication.
- For the medicine to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed. It will not work if you stop taking it.
The dosage that your healthcare provider recommends will vary, depending on a number of factors, including:
- Your age
- Other medications you have tried for ADHD
- Other medical conditions you may have
- Other medications you are currently taking.
As is always the case, do not adjust your dose unless your healthcare provider specifically instructs you to do so.
(Click Metadate CD Dosage for more information.)