Considerations for people taking Methylin include the following:
- In people who have trouble sleeping, taking the last dose of the day before 6 p.m. may be helpful. In general, for people taking Methylin twice a day, the best times to take the medication in order to avoid insomnia are before breakfast and lunch.
- If you do not take your Methylin as scheduled, take your missed dose as soon as you remember. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and return to your regular schedule. Taking a dose after 6 p.m. may cause trouble sleeping. Do not double the dose at one time.
- Methylin chewable tablets should always be taken with a full glass of water (at least 8 ounces) after chewing the tablets in order to prevent choking.
- If you are using Methylin oral solution, make sure you know exactly how to measure the correct dose. Household teaspoons are not recommended to measure liquid medications. Instead, use a dosing spoon, cup, or oral syringe to measure your Methylin dosage. Dosing spoons, cups, and oral syringes can be found at most pharmacies.
- Methylin ER tablets should be swallowed whole; do not chew, crush, or break them.
- The medication can be taken with or without food, although it is usually taken 30 to 45 minutes before meals.
- For the medication to work properly, you have to take it as prescribed. Methylin will not work if you take it differently than how your healthcare provider recommends.
- If you are unsure about anything related to Methylin or your Methylin dosage, talk to your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist. Do not stop taking the medicine without first discussing it with your healthcare provider.