Ritalin LA Warnings and Precautions
It's important to be aware of certain things before starting Ritalin LA. Warnings and precautions include being aware of potential drug interactions, following dosing guidelines carefully to avoid dependence and abuse, and watching for side effects, such as increased blood pressure or heart rate. Ritalin LA warnings and precautions also extend to people who have tics or Tourette syndrome; certain allergies; or who have severe anxiety, tension, or agitation.
You should talk with your healthcare provider prior to taking Ritalin LA® (methylphenidate extended-release) if you have:
- Heart problems of any kind, including heart disease, congestive heart failure, certain irregular heart rhythms (arrhythmias), or have recently had a heart attack
- Severe agitation, tension, or anxiety
- High blood pressure (hypertension)
- Overactive thyroid (hyperthyroidism)
- Mental illness, including bipolar disorder and psychotic disorders (such as schizophrenia or schizoaffective disorder)
- Seizures or epilepsy
- Tourette syndrome
- Glaucoma (a condition of the eye)
- A history of drug or alcohol abuse
- Any allergies, including allergies to foods, dyes, or preservatives.
Also let your healthcare provider know if you:
- Are pregnant or thinking of becoming pregnant
- Are breastfeeding.
It's important to also tell your healthcare provider about all other medicines you may be taking, including prescription and non-prescription medicines, antacids, vitamins, and herbal supplements.