Ritalin SR Overdose
If you take excessive amounts of Ritalin SR, overdose symptoms may occur, including seizures, hyperactivity, or rapid breathing. Drug overdoses can be serious, so you should seek medical attention immediately if you happen to take too much Ritalin SR. Overdose treatment options may include "pumping the stomach," administering medications, or treating symptoms as they occur (supportive care).
Ritalin SR® (methylphenidate extended-release) is a prescription medication that is used to treat ADHD and narcolepsy. As with all medications, it is possible to take too much Ritalin SR.
If you happen to overdose on Ritalin SR, seek immediate medical attention.
The symptoms of a Ritalin SR overdose will vary, depending on a number of factors, including how much Ritalin SR is taken and whether it is taken with other medicines, alcohol, and/or drugs. Some possible symptoms include:
- Hyperactivity (trouble sitting still)
- Rapid breathing
- Muscle pains
- Hallucinations (seeing or hearing things that are not really there).
The treatment for a Ritalin SR overdose will also vary. If the overdose was recent, a healthcare provider may give certain medicines or place a tube into the stomach to "pump the stomach." Treatment may also involve supportive care. This type of care consists of treating the symptoms that occur as a result of the overdose. For example, supportive treatment options for an overdose of Ritalin SR may include:
- Fluids through an intravenous line (IV)
- Close monitoring of the heart and lungs
- Other treatments based on complications that occur.
It is important that you seek prompt medical attention if you believe that you may have overdosed on Ritalin SR.