Ritalin SR Warnings and Precautions
Before starting Ritalin SR, warnings and precautions should be understood, such as the drug's potential for abuse. It is not suitable for everyone and should not be taken by people who have glaucoma, have Tourette syndrome, or have used an MAOI recently. Other Ritalin SR warnings and precautions include watching for increased blood pressure or heart rate, being aware of certain drug interactions, and monitoring your child's growth while on the drug.
You should talk with your healthcare provider prior to taking Ritalin SR® (methylphenidate extended-release) if you have:
- Heart problems of any kind, including heart disease, congestive heart failure, certain irregular heart rhythms (arrhythmias), or had a recent heart attack
- High blood pressure (hypertension)
- Mental illness, including bipolar disorder (manic depression) and psychotic disorders (such as schizophrenia or schizoaffective disorder)
- Seizures or epilepsy
- Tourette syndrome
- Hyperthyroidism (overactive thyroid)
- Glaucoma (a condition of the eye)
- Any allergies, including allergies to food, dyes, or preservatives.
Also let your healthcare provider know if you:
- Are pregnant or thinking of becoming pregnant
- Are breastfeeding.
It's important to also tell your healthcare provider about all other medicines you may be taking, including prescription and non-prescription medicines, vitamins, and herbal supplements.