Potential symptoms of a Ritalin overdose may include fever, shakiness, and aggressiveness. The effects will vary, depending on how much Ritalin was taken and whether it was taken with alcohol, drugs, or other medications. Many treatment options are available for an overdose, including supportive care, medicines, and "pumping the stomach."
Can You Take Too Much Ritalin?
Ritalin® (methylphenidate hydrochloride) is a prescription medication that is used to treat ADHD and narcolepsy. As with all medications, it is possible to take too much Ritalin. If you happen to overdose on this drug, seek immediate medical attention.
Symptoms of a Ritalin Overdose
The actual effects of an overdose with Ritalin will vary, depending on a number of factors, including how much is taken and whether it is taken with other medicines, alcohol, and/or drugs. Some possible symptoms include:
- Hyperactivity (trouble sitting still)
- Rapid breathing
- Muscle pains
- Hallucinations (seeing or hearing things that are not really there).
Treatment for an Overdose of Ritalin
The treatment for a Ritalin overdose will vary. If the overdose was recent, a healthcare provider may give certain medicines or place a tube into the stomach to "pump the stomach." Treatment may also involve supportive care. This consists of treating the symptoms that occur as a result of the overdose. Options may include:
- Fluids through an intravenous line (IV)
- Closely monitoring the heart and lungs
- Other treatments based on complications that occur.