Most people who are beginning treatment with Vyvanse are recommended to start with 30 mg once daily in the morning. If necessary, the Vyvanse dosage can be increased until the ADHD symptoms are under control, up to a maximum dose of 70 mg once daily in the morning. Vyvanse comes in the form of a capsule and can be taken with or without food.
The dose of Vyvanse™ (lisdexamfetamine dimesylate) your healthcare provider prescribes will vary, depending on a number of factors, including:
- Other ADHD medications you may have tried
- Other medical conditions you may have
- Other medications you may currently be taking.
As is always the case, do not adjust your Vyvanse dose unless your healthcare provider specifically instructs you to do so.
The recommended starting Vyvanse dose for treating ADHD in adults, adolescents, and children age 6 to 12 years old is Vyvanse 30 mg once daily in the morning. Your healthcare provider may increase the dose as necessary to control the ADHD symptoms, up to a maximum of Vyvanse 70 mg once daily in the morning.
Vyvanse has not been studied in children under the age of six years old or in adolescents.
Some considerations for people taking Vyvanse include:
- Vyvanse comes in capsule form. It should be taken by mouth once a day in the morning.
- It does not matter if you take Vyvanse with or without food. If Vyvanse bothers your stomach, try taking it with food.
- For children who have difficulty swallowing capsules, the Vyvanse capsule can be opened and the contents dissolved in a glass of water. The child should immediately drink the entire glass of water.
- If you are unsure about anything related to Vyvanse or your Vyvanse dosage, please talk to your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist. Do not stop taking Vyvanse without first discussing it with your healthcare provider.